Der super duper US-Wahl-Fred deluxe

Boothby, Freitag, 16. Oktober 2020, 15:59 (vor 14 Tagen)

Nach der nun wohl vollständigen Verbannung aus dem Laublog und dem Verlust einer der dortigen Mitforisten hoffen wir mal, dass wir hier gnädiges Asyl finden.

Ein Refugium namens Amerikanski scheint sinnig, nachdem der alte Blog sich eh nur noch um die US-Wahl (ergänzt um einige sehr interessante Brocken Brexit) gedreht hat.

Da ich noch keinen Wahl-Fred gesehen habe, eröffne ich hier einen mit dem alten und wohlbekannten David Frum-Zitat: When this is all over, nobody will admit to ever having supported it

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1151669588808986624

Weiß jemand, ob sich rein unterhaltungstechnisch eine Nachschau von Donnies crazy town hall debacle lohnt?

Boothby, Freitag, 16. Oktober 2020, 16:32 (vor 14 Tagen) @ Boothby

Republikanischer Blick zurück im Zorn:

In 2016 there were conversations among the 168 members of the Republican National Committee, of which I was one, about withdrawing support from the party’s nominee. Throughout the general election, concern grew about the political and ethical costs of allowing Trump to forever tag our party with his gross incompetence and rank indecency. It came to a head with the release of the “Access Hollywood” video, in which Trump said unapologetically that as a celebrity, he felt entitled to grab women anywhere he pleased, whenever he pleased.

I called RNC Chairman Reince Priebus that evening and shared my very strong opinion that we must withdraw our support from Trump. He told me others in the organization had already called with similar messages. The women who worked in the RNC offices also expressed their beliefs that our party must separate itself from Trump.

Priebus was frustrated and torn. “What do you want me to do? There’s nothing I can do!” Yes, there is, I told him. You can call the committee together, in person or by phone, and have a vote. Then, even if the majority of RNC members voted to continue support, the country would know that at least some in the party reject this guy.

But Priebus wasn’t convinced. He wanted to wait until after the next debate, which was just two days away, before making any decisions. Withdrawing party support from the nominee would be unprecedented, and he understood the cost could be substantial, potentially leading to an electoral wipeout for the GOP. His decisions were led entirely by party concerns. And while I understood that was his responsibility, I was deeply disappointed that he could not see the damage to the country that would come as a result of the party-first mentality.

Trump was never an advocate for Republican principles, never a voice for the strengths of Republican leadership, but even before he was elected, too many party leaders were all in. They loved his combative nature and his take-it-to-the streets approach to politics, in spite of the bigoted, divisive, misogynistic foundation upon which it was built.

The RNC could have voted to withdraw support from Trump at any point, but we were a divided body and it never happened. As we look back at the destructive Trump presidency, one thing above all is clear: In the best interest of the party, but more importantly, the nation, we should have done it when we had the chance.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2020/10/16/republicans-should-have-stopped...

Boothby, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 20:04 (vor 12 Tagen) @ Boothby

Hierzu interessant: Cornyn spielt den GOP Kanarienvogel und outet sich als heimlicher trump-Verächter.

Das ist insofern interessant, als dass er derzeit noch einen kleinen Vorsprung zum Dem-Konkurrenten hat. Baut er jetzt darauf, dass die Basis ebenfalls abfällt? Ist er womöglich einfach mürbe? Realistisch betrachtet müsste er doch davon ausgeht, dass ihm durch diesen Stunt etliche R's von der Stange gehen. Als Rivale würde ich schon mal die Danke-Karte versenden.

U.S. Sen. John Cornyn acknowledged Friday that at times he has disagreed with President Trump on issues such as budget deficits and debt, tariffs and trade agreements and border security.

But, the senior Republican senator from Texas, who is being challenged by Democrat MJ Hegar, said he chose to work on those disagreements with the president’s staff in private discussions, rather than by publicly voicing his opposition.

Although polls show Cornyn with a small lead over Hegar, both candidates are vying for undecided voters during an extraordinary election season in which many once-solid Republican public office seats are now in reach for Democrats.

During a meeting with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Editorial Board, Cornyn was asked if he and other Republicans regretted not pushing Trump to combat the COVID-19 virus more aggressively, or rein in some of his political stances that were unpopular or stood little chance of passing in Congress.

Cornyn initially described his relationship with Trump as “maybe like a lot of women who get married and think they’re going to change their spouse, and that doesn’t usually work out very well.”

Cornyn continued: “I think what we found is that we’re not going to change President Trump. He is who he is. You either love him or hate him, and there’s not much in between. What I tried to do is not get into public confrontations and fights with him because, as I’ve observed, those usually don’t end too well.”

Cornyn noted that his friend, former U.S. Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., who initially was on cordial terms with Trump’s White House, opted not to run for re-election in 2018 after clashing with Trump on issues such as a border wall.

Cornyn said he worked well with the president on judicial nominations, Hurricane Harvey relief, a U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal and tax cuts. In those situations, Cornyn said, he was comfortable praising Trump’s work publicly.

“But when I have had differences of opinion, which I have, (I) do that privately,” Cornyn said. “I have found that has allowed me to be much more effective, I believe, than to satisfy those who say I ought to call him out or get into a public fight with him.”

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/article246503045.html?__twitter_...

NN, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 21:49 (vor 12 Tagen) @ Boothby

Hierzu interessant: Cornyn spielt den GOP Kanarienvogel und outet sich als heimlicher trump-Verächter.

Das ist insofern interessant, als dass er derzeit noch einen kleinen Vorsprung zum Dem-Konkurrenten hat. Baut er jetzt darauf, dass die Basis ebenfalls abfällt? Ist er womöglich einfach mürbe? Realistisch betrachtet müsste er doch davon ausgeht, dass ihm durch diesen Stunt etliche R's von der Stange gehen. Als Rivale würde ich schon mal die Danke-Karte versenden.

U.S. Sen. John Cornyn acknowledged Friday that at times he has disagreed with President Trump on issues such as budget deficits and debt, tariffs and trade agreements and border security.

But, the senior Republican senator from Texas, who is being challenged by Democrat MJ Hegar, said he chose to work on those disagreements with the president’s staff in private discussions, rather than by publicly voicing his opposition.

Although polls show Cornyn with a small lead over Hegar, both candidates are vying for undecided voters during an extraordinary election season in which many once-solid Republican public office seats are now in reach for Democrats.

During a meeting with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Editorial Board, Cornyn was asked if he and other Republicans regretted not pushing Trump to combat the COVID-19 virus more aggressively, or rein in some of his political stances that were unpopular or stood little chance of passing in Congress.

Cornyn initially described his relationship with Trump as “maybe like a lot of women who get married and think they’re going to change their spouse, and that doesn’t usually work out very well.”

Cornyn continued: “I think what we found is that we’re not going to change President Trump. He is who he is. You either love him or hate him, and there’s not much in between. What I tried to do is not get into public confrontations and fights with him because, as I’ve observed, those usually don’t end too well.”

Cornyn noted that his friend, former U.S. Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., who initially was on cordial terms with Trump’s White House, opted not to run for re-election in 2018 after clashing with Trump on issues such as a border wall.

Cornyn said he worked well with the president on judicial nominations, Hurricane Harvey relief, a U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal and tax cuts. In those situations, Cornyn said, he was comfortable praising Trump’s work publicly.

“But when I have had differences of opinion, which I have, (I) do that privately,” Cornyn said. “I have found that has allowed me to be much more effective, I believe, than to satisfy those who say I ought to call him out or get into a public fight with him.”

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/article246503045.html?__twitter_...

----------------------->

"I secretly opposed Trump."
"I fought against the worst excesses."
"You won't believe what I stopped him from doing."
"I was silent but I am a former general office."
"I needed a job later."
"I had a primary, so I couldn't speak out."

Your excuses will not play, cowards.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1317887066282209280

NN, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 22:48 (vor 12 Tagen) @ Boothby

Das ist insofern interessant, als dass er derzeit noch einen kleinen Vorsprung zum Dem-Konkurrenten hat. Baut er jetzt darauf, dass die Basis ebenfalls abfällt? Ist er womöglich einfach mürbe? Realistisch betrachtet müsste er doch davon ausgeht, dass ihm durch diesen Stunt etliche R's von der Stange gehen.

Sein internal polling kann durchaus schlechter sein. Außerdem zeichnet sich in Texas eine hohe Wahlbeteiligung ab, noch zusätzlich getrieben durch die schändlichen Versuche von Governor Abbott, deshalb das Wählen zu erschweren.

Cornyn kalkuliert sehr wahrscheinlich damit, dass ihm eine wachsweiche Distanzierung bei der Base / bei Hardcore-Republikanern nicht schadet, aber bei Moderates und Indies nützt.

NN, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 22:57 (vor 12 Tagen) @ Boothby

Senator Ron Johnson setzt dagegen auf die Qanon-Karte:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1317915527260626946

Schließlich steht er dieses Jahr nicht zur Wiederwahl.

Boothby, Freitag, 16. Oktober 2020, 16:36 (vor 14 Tagen) @ Boothby

Very good, very good!

@JuddLegum

In case you weren’t watching NBC last night, the President of the United States said he didn’t know whether top Democrats are part of a secret Satanic pedophile cult and had “no position” on whether, as Vice President, Biden ordered the murder of Navy SEALs

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1317091518893740032

Obwohl ich unseren Holm vermisse, wie er sachkundig verkündet, dass Donnie selbstredend das satanische Treiben der Mitbewerber im Detail kenne aber im Sinne der Independends halt nicht so dick auftragen wollte. Den fehlt es ja häufig an Fantasie, diesen Independends...

NN, Freitag, 16. Oktober 2020, 18:33 (vor 14 Tagen) @ Boothby

Nach der nun wohl vollständigen Verbannung aus dem Laublog und dem Verlust einer der dortigen Mitforisten hoffen wir mal, dass wir hier gnädiges Asyl finden.

Ein Refugium namens Amerikanski scheint sinnig, nachdem der alte Blog sich eh nur noch um die US-Wahl (ergänzt um einige sehr interessante Brocken Brexit) gedreht hat.

Damit erweckst du bei Nicht-Eingeweihten einen etwas falschen Eindruck: Denk an die ganzen doppelt gebolzten Reitschusters mit einer Kelle Maaßen obendrauf, zuzüglich aller mehr oder weniger aktuellen antifantischen Straftaten sowie Straftaten von (vorzugsweise) Asylbewerbern und die Cancel Culture. Ein aktueller Renner war daneben auch der Krimi um die fehlenden Exemplare der Dissertation von Drosten.

Boothby, Freitag, 16. Oktober 2020, 18:53 (vor 14 Tagen) @ NN

...zuzüglich aller mehr oder weniger aktuellen antifantischen Straftaten sowie Straftaten von (vorzugsweise) Asylbewerbern und die Cancel Culture. Ein aktueller Renner war daneben auch der Krimi um die fehlenden Exemplare der Dissertation von Drosten.

@NN

Nicht übergehen wollen wir Mihigru-Merkelanten, die Lamborghini-fahrend die ganze Genpool-Tristesse unserer Zeit zum Ausdruck bringen.

Ganz ehrlich: Wem es bei "Kaaauuutskyyyiii" nicht wohlig kribbelt, der hat nicht wirklich gelebt.

Serious Black, Freitag, 16. Oktober 2020, 19:00 (vor 14 Tagen) @ Boothby

Ja ja, die Stichworte Landwehrkanal, 11g Blei und generelles Ignorieren von Logik zugunsten der Schönheit der Pointe... So ein bißchen vermisse ich es jetzt schon. Zumindest den Ausgang im November hätte ich doch noch sehen mögen.

NN, Freitag, 16. Oktober 2020, 19:18 (vor 14 Tagen) @ Serious Black

Ja ja, die Stichworte Landwehrkanal, 11g Blei und generelles Ignorieren von Logik zugunsten der Schönheit der Pointe... So ein bißchen vermisse ich es jetzt schon. Zumindest den Ausgang im November hätte ich doch noch sehen mögen.

Das grenzt nun an subtiles Triggern, schließlich ist der Link dieses Forums mehrfach im Kommentarbereich hinterlegt worden.

Abgesehen davon: Du hast die wichtigsten Stichworte Versiffte, versifft vergessen, mit denen, theoretisch, die Tourette-Latrine weiter befüllt werden könnte.

Boothby, Freitag, 16. Oktober 2020, 20:10 (vor 14 Tagen) @ NN

Das grenzt nun an subtiles Triggern, schließlich ist der Link dieses Forums mehrfach im Kommentarbereich hinterlegt worden.

Abgesehen davon: Du hast die wichtigsten Stichworte Versiffte, versifft vergessen, mit denen, theoretisch, die Tourette-Latrine weiter befüllt werden könnte.

@SB/NN

Auf Jedesten. Ihn hier zu sehen wäre mir eine Pläsier. Wirklich. Der wesentliche Punkt bei ihm ist ja, dass sein Wahnsinn tatsächlich massenkompatibel geworden ist. Ich hatte erst letztens Besuch von einem Freund und seinem Bruder, und der Bruder faselte bizarren Stuss darüber, dass finstere Mächte die NWO planen und dass das "sogenannte" Corona-Virus genau richtig kam, um Donnie die Kampagne zu verhageln trotz seiner megalomanischen Erfolge, das müsse einen schon stutzig machen...

Ich hatte ihm darauf hin erklärt, dass mir dafür im RL jetzt echt der Nerv fehle, dass er aber davon ausgehen könne, dass ich mit seiner medialen Kloake wesentlich besser vertraut wäre als er selbst nach ein paar Ausgaben halbgelesener Compact und einer nicht sonderlich klug selektierten Auswahl von crappy Twitter-Accounts.

Aber zum Vgl.: Ich hatte Euch doch von dieser Trumpistin aus Iowa erzählt, die sich bereit erklärt hatte, einen vernünftigen Austausch zuzulassen? Das ging 3 Posts lang gut. Als ich sie dann besser checkte stellte ich fest, dass die Gute eine profunde Tweet-Record hat, die daraus besteht, dass sie völlig themenfremd bei allen möglichen Twitter-Feuds aufschlägt und permanent wiederholt, die Mueller-Untersuchung habe 35mio $ gekostet und nix ergeben. Immer und immer wieder.

Da lob ich mir doch meinen Holm.

NN, Freitag, 16. Oktober 2020, 21:36 (vor 14 Tagen) @ Boothby

Wir schalten nach Iowa:

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1316961857031327746

Tradewars are good and easy to win!

Serious Black, Samstag, 17. Oktober 2020, 01:33 (vor 14 Tagen) @ NN

Fremdschämfaktor 10!

Serious Black, Samstag, 17. Oktober 2020, 01:47 (vor 14 Tagen) @ Boothby

Hier gesteht er öffentlich, dass die erste Runde MAGA irgendwie nicht funktioniert hat. Dem Publikum ist es vollkommen egal, was aus des Orangenen Pie-hole kommt.

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1317216901077127168

Serious Black, Samstag, 17. Oktober 2020, 13:34 (vor 13 Tagen) @ Boothby

Ein paar Staatsanwälte stehen sicher schon bereit, für den Fall einer Wahlniederlage:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/17/politics/trump-election-legal-reckoning/index.html

Boothby, Samstag, 17. Oktober 2020, 13:44 (vor 13 Tagen) @ Serious Black

Ein paar Staatsanwälte stehen sicher schon bereit, für den Fall einer Wahlniederlage:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/17/politics/trump-election-legal-reckoning/index.html

War ja letztes Jahr schon mal Thema, und mein Eindruck ist, dass die das ernst meinen. Vlt. auch nur eine Hoffnung, aber eines steht wohl fest: Wenn Dems über Trump auch wieder Kuschler und Versöhner spielen wollen, dann unterschätzen sie den vlt. weniger öffentlichen, aber nichts desto trotz erheblichen Zorn der nichttrumpistischen USA ganz erheblich.

Eine andere Frage wäre, wie die das Problem der korrupten Richter lösen wollen. Wer soll denn bitte den SCOTUS jetzt überhaupt noch ernst nehmen? Das ist keine Justiz mehr, sondern ein dritter Stand. Eine dritte Kammer trifft es vlt. besser.

Pelosi made the remarks during a closed-door meeting with senior Democratic lawmakers this week amid a heated debate within the party over whether to launch impeachment proceedings against Trump, according to a report by Politico.

Pressed on the issue by Jerry Nadler, the chairman of the House judiciary committee, Pelosi said of Trump: “I don’t want to see him impeached, I want to see him in prison.”

Pelosi’s spokeswoman, Ashley Etienne, would not confirm the speaker’s comments.

“Speaker Pelosi and the chairs had a productive meeting about the state of play with the Mueller report,” Etienne said. “They agreed to keep all options on the table and continue to move forward with an aggressive hearing and legislative strategy, as early as next week, to address the president’s corruption and abuses of power uncovered in the report.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/06/nancy-pelosi-trump-impeachment-prison

NN, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 20:30 (vor 12 Tagen) @ Boothby

War ja letztes Jahr schon mal Thema, und mein Eindruck ist, dass die das ernst meinen. Vlt. auch nur eine Hoffnung, aber eines steht wohl fest: Wenn Dems über Trump auch wieder Kuschler und Versöhner spielen wollen, dann unterschätzen sie den vlt. weniger öffentlichen, aber nichts desto trotz erheblichen Zorn der nichttrumpistischen USA ganz erheblich.

Eine andere Frage wäre, wie die das Problem der korrupten Richter lösen wollen. Wer soll denn bitte den SCOTUS jetzt überhaupt noch ernst nehmen? Das ist keine Justiz mehr, sondern ein dritter Stand. Eine dritte Kammer trifft es vlt. besser.

Pelosi made the remarks during a closed-door meeting with senior Democratic lawmakers this week amid a heated debate within the party over whether to launch impeachment proceedings against Trump, according to a report by Politico.

Pressed on the issue by Jerry Nadler, the chairman of the House judiciary committee, Pelosi said of Trump: “I don’t want to see him impeached, I want to see him in prison.”

Pelosi’s spokeswoman, Ashley Etienne, would not confirm the speaker’s comments.

“Speaker Pelosi and the chairs had a productive meeting about the state of play with the Mueller report,” Etienne said. “They agreed to keep all options on the table and continue to move forward with an aggressive hearing and legislative strategy, as early as next week, to address the president’s corruption and abuses of power uncovered in the report.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/06/nancy-pelosi-trump-impeachment-prison

Das ist nicht sonderlich durchdacht.

Es macht hier nämlich trotzdem Sinn, die politische und rechtliche Ebene voneinander zu trennen.

Biden würde Trump garantiert nicht wegen irgendetwas begnadigen.*

Straf- und/oder Zivilverfahren gegen Trump werden - wenn überhaupt -, so schnell nicht vor dem Supreme Court landen. Entsprechend wäre im Falle einer Wahl Bidens auch kein Consigliere Barr mehr da, der zugunsten Trumps irgendetwas drehen oder durchgehen lassen könnte.

Und auch für den Fall, dass in einer Zukunft unter einem demokratischen Präsidenten / einer demokratischen Präsidentin irgendetwas, was Trump direkt anbetrifft, vor einem Supreme Court mit konservativer bzw. "konservativer" Mehrheit landet, ist mitnichten gesagt, dass eine Entscheidung zugunsten Trumps ausfallen würde. Gerade die unbedingten Ideologen unter den Richtern (Stand jetzt: Alito und Thomas) werden sich ggf. dreimal überlegen, ob sie mit irgendeiner Entscheidung zugunsten des orangenen Ex-Königs ihrem gesellschaftspolitischen Auftrag wirklich nachkommen würden und ihren Ruf bei einer Bevölkerungsmehrheit völlig ruinieren wollen.

* Was vor Gerichten des Staates New York läuft, fällt ohnehin nicht in den Bereich der Bundesebene. Die konnte wie gehabt in Gestalt von Mnuchin (Dienstherr der Steuerbehörde) und Barr lediglich die Herausgabe von Trumps Steuerunterlagen an das New Yorker Gericht und das Commitee des Repräsentantenhauses herauszögern - wenn auch auf schändliche Weise.

NN, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 21:36 (vor 12 Tagen) @ NN

Apropos Begnadigung.

Steve Bannon bekommt dieselbe Ankündigung wie Arpaio, Flynn und Stone:

“I think Steve will be just fine,” Trump says of his former chief strategist who is facing federal charges.

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1317862187646525443

Womit wir im Endeffekt bei der Frage des self-pardons wären.

Ob der US-Präsident sich auch selber begnadigen kann, ist rechtlich nicht geklärt, weil noch kein US-Präsident so dreist war.

Um mich also ein bisschen zu korrigieren: Diese Angelegenheit würde wohl sehr schnell vor dem Supreme Court landen.

(Davon, so oder so, unberührt wären, wie gesagt, Straf- und/oder Zivilverfahren im Staat New York.)

Boothby, Samstag, 17. Oktober 2020, 14:33 (vor 13 Tagen) @ Boothby

Frum hat es drauf, dass Ganze in ein Bild zu packen, aus dem man schlau werden kann. Trumpismus in digitalen Zeiten einhegen:

@davidfrum

It's never easy. But it's important. You should talk to your parents about Facebook.

"Just say No" is not enough. Be prepared to answer questions about your own history of social media use. But it's important. Talk to your parents about Facebook.

By asking the questions in a nonjudgmental, open-ended way, you're more likely to get an honest response. Remember to show your parents that you're listening and really paying attention. They need to know that you accept and affirm them. But talk to your parents about Facebook

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1317207238885466112

Holm hat, wenn ich das richtig erinnere, ja keine Kinder. Erklärt einiges.

Serious Black, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 08:24 (vor 13 Tagen) @ Boothby

Kwezi, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 17:30 (vor 12 Tagen) @ Serious Black

Na ja. Ein Holzbrinck-Medium darf sich wohl nicht anders äußern. Dazu passt die frische Meldung, dass der Fischer-Verlag Monika Maron rausgeworfen hat.

Boothby, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 18:53 (vor 12 Tagen) @ Kwezi

Na ja. Ein Holzbrinck-Medium darf sich wohl nicht anders äußern. Dazu passt die frische Meldung, dass der Fischer-Verlag Monika Maron rausgeworfen hat.

Nature ist nun kein Magazin, dass sich an eine breite Leserschaft bindet, dabei geht es auch nicht um Holzbrinck, Scientific American hat ebenfalls eine Wahlempfehlung herausgegeben:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/scientific-american-endorses-joe-biden1/

Zum ersten Mal seit 175 Jahren übrigens.

Was Maron betrifft: Ich finde es relativ bizarr, wenn Entscheide privater Verlage/Herausgeber bezüglich des eigenen Programms als Einschränkung der Meinungsfreiheit verstanden werden. Fischer hat, wie Maron auch, jedes Recht die Außenwirkung seines Programms oder seiner Autoren zum Maßstab seiner geschäftlichen Agierens zu machen.

Konkret: Was sollte daran irritieren, wenn Fischer Maron wegen deren öffentlicher Wahrnehmung nicht mehr verlegen will? Was sollten denn sonst die Kriterien sein?

Es steht ihr doch frei, einen passenderen Verlag zu suchen, und wenn ich das richtig sehe, hat die tatsächliche Veröffentlichung in einer zu Kubitschek gehörigen Edition lt. Maron selbst evtl. den Ausschlag gegeben. Wenn ich Fischer wäre, würde ich da auch den Reinheitsgrad meiner Kajüte priorisieren.

Serious Black, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 19:48 (vor 12 Tagen) @ Kwezi

Das New England Journal of Medicine hat übrigens auch Stellung gegen den Amtsinhaber bezogen.

NN, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 21:19 (vor 12 Tagen) @ Kwezi

Ob hier Rupert Murdoch persönlich interveniert hat?

----------------------->

A Demoralized CDC Grapples With White House Meddling and Its Own Mistakes

Trump advisers made line-by-line edits to official health guidance, altering language written by scientists on church choirs and social distancing

President Trump and his advisers have taken a more hands-on role than previously known in shaping Covid-19 recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, helping create a crisis of confidence in the nation’s top public-health agency.

The changes the White House has sought—in many cases successfully—go beyond the agency’s public messaging. White House advisers have made line-by-line edits to official health guidance, altering language written by CDC scientists on church choirs, social distancing in bars...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-demoralized-cdc-grapples-with-white-house-meddling-and-i...

More Than 1,000 Current and Former CDC Officers Criticize U.S. Covid-19 Response
An open letter calls for the federal agency to play a more central role in addressing the pandemic

More than 1,000 current and former officers of an elite disease-fighting program at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have signed an open letter expressing dismay at the nation’s public-health response to the Covid-19 pandemic and calling for the federal agency to play a more central role.

“The absence of national leadership on Covid-19 is unprecedented and dangerous,” said the letter, signed by current and former officers of the CDC’s Epidemic Intelligence Service of outbreak investigators.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-than-1-000-current-and-former-cdc-officers-condemn-u-...

NN, Sonntag, 18. Oktober 2020, 23:09 (vor 12 Tagen) @ Kwezi

The United States shows more CASES than other countries, which the Lamestream Fake News Media pounces on daily, because it TESTS at such a high (and costly) level. No country in the world tests at this level. The more you TEST, the more CASES you will be reporting. Very simple!

3:40 nachm. · 18. Okt. 2020

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1317822838519128068

Udosefirot, Montag, 19. Oktober 2020, 19:08 (vor 11 Tagen) @ NN

"The more you TEST, the more CASES you will be reporting. Very simple!"

Nöe, eben so nicht!

NN, Montag, 19. Oktober 2020, 19:18 (vor 11 Tagen) @ Udosefirot

"The more you TEST, the more CASES you will be reporting. Very simple!"

Nöe, eben so nicht!

A-watt?!

NN, Montag, 19. Oktober 2020, 18:29 (vor 11 Tagen) @ Kwezi

Trump: "Fauci is a disaster. If I listened to him, we’d have 500,000 deaths," before later saying it would be 700,000 or 800,000. "If there’s a reporter on, you can have it just the way I said it, I couldn’t care less." (CNN was given access to the call by a source.)

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1318212615462584320

"People are tired of covid," the president said. "People are tired of hearing Fauci and all these idiots... Fauci's a nice guy, he's been here for 500 years...wonderful sage telling us..."

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1318210439780749319

NN, Montag, 19. Oktober 2020, 18:33 (vor 11 Tagen) @ Kwezi

@OliviaTroye describes how Trump sidelined key scientists on the COVID Task Force for telling the truth:

"I saw senior White House officials look away and roll their eyes while Fauci was briefing. They'd try and push back and say 'can you spin the data this way?'"

------------------------>

https://twitter.com/RVAT2020/status/1317997852992339968

Let that sink in: the top infectious disease scientist in the US government in the midst of a pandemic needs a security detail because the president’s supporters, egged on by the president - his boss, head of the government - hate him and want him gone.

------------------------->

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1318002767173222403

Udosefirot, Montag, 19. Oktober 2020, 19:06 (vor 11 Tagen) @ Kwezi

Ja Kwezi...Haltung und Standpunkt muß man sich leisten können;
die Frau Maron ist taff.

Kwezi, Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2020, 14:25 (vor 10 Tagen) @ Udosefirot

Grüß Dich, Udo, schön, Dich wieder mal zu lesen. Alexander Wendt hat, wie häufig, den Fall Maron - Fischer auf den Punkt gebracht: https://www.publicomag.com/2020/10/wer-bleibt-der-wechselt-die-seiten/
„Welche Achse hat sich gedreht, dass ich mich auf einer anderen Seite wiederfinde, ohne die Seite gewechselt zu haben?“

NN, Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2020, 19:53 (vor 10 Tagen) @ Kwezi

Grüß Dich, Udo, schön, Dich wieder mal zu lesen. Alexander Wendt hat, wie häufig, den Fall Maron - Fischer auf den Punkt gebracht: https://www.publicomag.com/2020/10/wer-bleibt-der-wechselt-die-seiten/
„Welche Achse hat sich gedreht, dass ich mich auf einer anderen Seite wiederfinde, ohne die Seite gewechselt zu haben?“

Daraus:

Was als vorgebliches Motiv für Trennung in der Branche und manchen Medien herumgereicht wird, kommt nicht ernsthaft in Frage: Dass ihr Essayband „Krumme Gestalten, vom Wind gebissen“ nicht bei Fischer erschien, sondern im Frühjahr 2020 in der kleinen EXIL-Edition des Buchhauses Loschwitz.

Erstens wird das Motiv nicht herumgereicht, die Geschäftsführerin des Verlags wird ausführlicher zitiert. Zweitens spricht nichts dafür, dass das Motiv vorgeblich ist. Man kann es dann immer noch für schlecht oder in seinem Gehalt für unzureichend halten:

„Man kann nicht bei S. Fischer und gleichzeitig im Buchhaus Loschwitz publizieren, das mit dem Antaios Verlag kooperiert“, sagte die Verlegerische Fischer-Geschäftsführerin Siv Bublitz in einer Stellungnahme.

https://m.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/nach-trennung-von-ihrem-verlag-s-fischer-monika-maron-...

https://antaios.de/buecher-anderer-verlage/aus-dem-aktuellen-prospekt/92596/reihe-exil-...

Konkreter, auf den Rauswurf abzielend: "Bis vor zwei Jahren habe ich S. Fischer als einen sehr toleranten Verlag erfahren, dem es ein Anliegen war, das Meinungsspektrum seiner Autoren und damit auch der Gesellschaft abzubilden. Da hat sich offensichtlich etwas verändert."

Hat es sich so verändert, dass die Äußerungen einer Autorin zum Anlass einer Kündigung werden? Verlagschefin Siv Bublitz setzt als Antwort "noch einmal ein klares Nein. Wir haben sehr unterschiedliche Positionen im Verlagsprogramm zu politischen und gesellschaftlichen (und vielen weiteren) Fragen. Ein gutes Verlagsprogramm braucht diese Vielfalt. Wenn es Kontroverses oder Provozierendes gibt, dann wird diskutiert oder auch gestritten. Doch das kann nie ein Grund sein, sich von einer Autorin zu trennen."

Wo ist bitte dann der Grund für den Bruch zwischen S. Fischer und seiner Autorin zu finden?

Im März dieses Jahres hat Monika Maron einen Essayband im Buchhaus Loschwitz veröffentlicht. Der kleine Dresdner Verlag gilt vielen Kritikern als eine Art verfeinerte Astgabel der treudeutschen Eiche Schnellroda, wo der rechtsextreme Verleger Götz Kubitschek seinen Antaios-Verlag betreibt. Die Buchhändlerin Susanne Dagen, zu deren Leseabenden sich bis vor ein paar Jahren viele wichtige Schriftsteller einladen ließen, gilt inzwischen als pegidafiziert und hat sich in ein selbsternanntes "Exil" zurückgezogen - und so heißt auch die Schriftenreihe "Exil", in der Marons Essayband erschienen ist.

Natürlich sei ihr das von S. Fischer vorgeworfen worden, schreibt Maron. "Wobei meine Erklärungen zu der Angelegenheit auf wenig Verständnis trafen." In der Causa Susanne Dagen scheiden sich inzwischen die Geister der Literaturszene. Es gibt etliche, die sich scheuen, dem Dunstkreis der Buchhandlung zugerechnet zu werden. Andere wiederum, darunter auch Monika Maron, fühlen sich Dagen weiterhin verbunden

Monika Maron schreibt: "Susanne Dagen ist eine Buchhändlerin und Freundin, die sich seit mehr als zwanzig Jahren für mein Werk engagiert. Vor einem Jahr hat sie mich gefragt, ob ich in ihrer Edition ein Bändchen mit Essays veröffentlichen würde. Zuvor hatte der Fischerverlag meine Bitte, zu meinem 80. Geburtstag ein Band mit Essays zu veröffentlichen, abgeschlagen. Ich sah also keinen Grund, Susanne Dagens Angebot abzulehnen."

Sieht man bei S. Fischer darin einen hinreichenden Grund, weitere Angebote der Autorin Monika Maron abzulehnen? Die Stellungnahme der Verlegerin: "Ein klares Ja. Besonders problematisch ist für uns das Umfeld des Antaios Verlages, mit dem das Buchhaus Loschwitz kooperiert. Zu dessen Programm gehören zahlreiche Bücher, die völkisch-rassistische Positionen vertreten. Mit völkischen und rassistischen Diskursen will der S. Fischer Verlag nicht assoziiert werden, auch nicht mittelbar. Die Diktatur des Nationalsozialismus hat die Geschichte und Tradition unseres Hauses geprägt. Dieses Geschichtsbewusstsein leitet uns in unserer verlegerischen Arbeit bis heute." Hat der Verlag seine Autorin mit den Bedenken bekannt gemacht? Bublitz: "Leider scheiterte das Gespräch mit Frau Maron über dieses Thema auf ganzer Linie: Sie empfand unsere Fragen als Zumutung und verbat sich jede Einmischung in ihre Publikationspläne. Wir entschieden dann, keinen Vertrag für ein neues Buch anzubieten."

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/monika-maron-fischer-trennung-verlag-1.5081858

NN, Montag, 19. Oktober 2020, 19:19 (vor 11 Tagen) @ Kwezi

Dr. Fauci, while virtually accepting a leadership award this morning, said, "We have a lot of challenges ahead of us, and I can't help thinking that we're really going through a time that's disturbingly anti-science in certain segments of our society."

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1318230816728776705

NN, Montag, 19. Oktober 2020, 22:11 (vor 11 Tagen) @ Kwezi

Upon arriving in Arizona, President Trump attacks Dr. Fauci for the third time today, telling reporters, "We let him do what he wants to do. He gets a lot of television, he loves being on television." Trump says he's been around for 350 years.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1318264910636306437

Serious Black, Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2020, 20:44 (vor 10 Tagen) @ Boothby

Egal ob der Orangene verliert oder gewinnt, seine Anwälte werden nicht so bald arbeitslos:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/20/trumps-case-omarosa-problem-unpaid-legal-bills...

NN, Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2020, 21:33 (vor 10 Tagen) @ Serious Black

Attorneys for the Department of Justice (DOJ) argued Monday that President Trump cannot be sued for denying writer E. Jean Carroll’s rape accusation because he dismissed her claims in his official capacity at the White House.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/521785-doj-says-trump-cant-be-sued-for-den...

Imagine the DOJ under Obama, just imagine...

Serious Black, Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2020, 22:03 (vor 10 Tagen) @ NN

Möge Bill Barr in der Hölle schmoren!

NN, Samstag, 24. Oktober 2020, 21:03 (vor 6 Tagen) @ Serious Black

On May 30, Bill Barr, without presenting evidence or charges, blamed "far left" groups for violence after a Minneapolis police bldg was set ablaze.

Today, DOJ is charging *right-wing* saboteurs with attacking that building.

But Barr's damage was done.

---------------------------->

https://twitter.com/ianbassin/status/1319771182619521024

-------------------------

Die letzten Wochen hat Barr die Füße still gehalten:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/11/politics/nora-dannehy-john-durham/index.html

Hundreds of attorneys and judges are offering support to Justice Department officials who resign or speak out about what they say is “political misuse” of the department by Attorney General William Barr in the lead-up to the Nov. 3 presidential election.

In an open letter, Lawyers Defending American Democracy, a nonpartisan group of legal professionals that includes attorneys and former federal and state judges, say they are expressing their support for Department of Justice (DOJ) officials who “may face difficult choices about participating in political misuse of the DOJ.”

[...]

In May, nearly 2,000 former DOJ officials called on Barr to resign after charges against former national security adviser Michael Flynn were dropped. Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to FBI investigators, but Barr decided to end the investigation.

The group, some of which include DOJ alumni, previously called for Barr to step down in February after he overruled the sentencing recommendation of Roger Stone, a close Trump associate.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/520171-hundreds-of-attorneys-and-judges-off...

NN, Samstag, 24. Oktober 2020, 21:16 (vor 6 Tagen) @ Serious Black

Lang lebe Alexander Vindman.

NN, Samstag, 24. Oktober 2020, 23:07 (vor 6 Tagen) @ NN

Ich kann über die Güte der Daten bzw. der Datenerhebung von Target Smart und Circle nichts sagen, jedenfalls auf die Schnelle nicht:

https://twitter.com/SimonWDC/status/1319635303230033921

Falls aber die Zahlen nur halbwegs zutreffen und sich der Trend aus dem early voting im weiteren Zeitverlauf halbwegs bestätigen sollte, dann wäre ein Anstieg bei der Wahlbeteiligung innerhalb der Alterskohorte 18 - 29 Jahre um durchschnittlich weit über zehn Prozent eine mittlere Sensation.

Aller Regel nach ist die Wahlbeteiligung dieser Alterskohorte in nahezu allen demokratischen politischen Systemen durchschnittlich signifikant geringer als innerhalb der älteren Generationen. Ebenso sind auch Anstiege bei der Beteiligung innerhalb der besagten Alterskohorte von weit über dem Durchschnitt zumindest selten.

Boothby, Sonntag, 25. Oktober 2020, 12:37 (vor 5 Tagen) @ NN

Ich kann über die Güte der Daten bzw. der Datenerhebung von Target Smart und Circle nichts sagen, jedenfalls auf die Schnelle nicht:

https://twitter.com/SimonWDC/status/1319635303230033921

Falls aber die Zahlen nur halbwegs zutreffen und sich der Trend aus dem early voting im weiteren Zeitverlauf halbwegs bestätigen sollte, dann wäre ein Anstieg bei der Wahlbeteiligung innerhalb der Alterskohorte 18 - 29 Jahre um durchschnittlich weit über zehn Prozent eine mittlere Sensation.

Aller Regel nach ist die Wahlbeteiligung dieser Alterskohorte in nahezu allen demokratischen politischen Systemen durchschnittlich signifikant geringer als innerhalb der älteren Generationen. Ebenso sind auch Anstiege bei der Beteiligung innerhalb der besagten Alterskohorte von weit über dem Durchschnitt zumindest selten.

Es wäre wohl nachvollziehbar, wenn sich die jüngeren Kohorten gegen ihren Missbrauch durch ältere Wähler endlich zur Wehr setzen.

Insgesamt finde ich, dass über die Verzerrung von Wahlergebnissen paradoxer weise medial sehr viel mehr berechtigte Kritik* geäußert wird als bei vorherigen Wahlgängen, bei denen weniger Unsinn über das Wahlprozedere durch die Institutionen ventiliert wird. Zumindest das macht Mut.

Andererseits: Das Ausmaß an Schädelfrass erklimmt immer neue Höhen:

@GovMikeHuckabee

Stood in rain for hour to early vote today. When I got home I filled in my stack of mail-in ballots and then voted the ballots of my deceased parents and grandparents. They vote just like me! #Trump2020

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/1320104112420212739

*Sei es Gerrymandering, mail-in-ballots, die Rolle des SCOTUS oder die groteske Verzerrung der Verhältnisse durch den Senatszuschnitt.

NN, Sonntag, 25. Oktober 2020, 17:59 (vor 5 Tagen) @ Boothby

In other words, the prevalence of the virus is so low in D.C. that you almost have to be reckless to have a good chance of contracting it.

'According to the Johns Hopkins data, D.C. is at a 1.30% positivity rate for COVID-19, and yet cases keep turning up connected to the White House.'

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1320367955151097856

So what?! Bislang kämpft (soweit bekannt*) nur der einer breiten Öffentlichkeit unbekannte Sicherheitschef des Weißen Hauses, Crede Bailey, um sein Leben. Schließlich ist er im Endeffekt auch dazu da, sein Leben einzusetzen, wenn im gegebenen Fall auch anders als erwartet. Und als Herman Cain nach einer Indoor-Trump-Rally an Corona gestorben ist, war das auch kein Aufreger.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/07/white-house-security-official-cr...

Wenn alle Infektionen im Weißen Haus glimpflich ausgehen, können sie im Wahlkampf-Endspurt sagen, dass sie tolle Badasses seien, als erste im Land Herdenimmunität erreicht hätten und nun der Rest des Landes nun bitte folgen solle.

* Two people briefed on the matter said that the White House chief-of-staff, Mark Meadows, sought to keep the information about the VP office outbreak from becoming public

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1320200346426347520

NN, Sonntag, 25. Oktober 2020, 18:06 (vor 5 Tagen) @ Boothby

Genau vor einem Jahr:

We are not prepared for a pandemic. Trump has rolled back progress President Obama and I made to strengthen global health security. We need leadership that builds public trust, focuses on real threats, and mobilizes the world to stop outbreaks before they reach our shores.

10:32 nachm. · 25. Okt. 2019

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1187829299207954437

NN, Sonntag, 25. Oktober 2020, 18:11 (vor 5 Tagen) @ NN

Uh,uh....

China Trade War Didn’t Boost U.S. Manufacturing Might

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-trade-war-didnt-boost-u-s-manufacturing-might-116036...

NN, Sonntag, 25. Oktober 2020, 18:33 (vor 5 Tagen) @ NN

Der Brandstifter warnt:

NOW: @realDonaldTrump on Pennsylvania taking as much time as needed to count ballots after November 3: "they have a long time to to count the ballots. A lot of bad things will happen during that period of time...crooked dishonest things...we shouldn't let it happen."

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1320416475363086337

NN, Sonntag, 25. Oktober 2020, 18:37 (vor 5 Tagen) @ NN

Uh, uhh...

The Trump administration offered Santa Claus performers a deal: promote a Covid-19 vaccine, and they'd get early access to it. The plan has been called off.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1320357043442749441

Boothby, Sonntag, 25. Oktober 2020, 20:24 (vor 5 Tagen) @ NN

Uh,uh....

China Trade War Didn’t Boost U.S. Manufacturing Might

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-trade-war-didnt-boost-u-s-manufacturing-might-116036...

Der China Boom hingegen ganz sicher. Muss einem nicht schmecken, isaberso.

Wobei ich natürlich das Risiko eingehe, eine sehr Steingart'sche Position einzunehmen, wofür ich mich auf jeden Fall vorab entschuldigen möchte.

Boothby, Freitag, 23. Oktober 2020, 13:21 (vor 7 Tagen) @ NN

Attorneys for the Department of Justice (DOJ) argued Monday that President Trump cannot be sued for denying writer E. Jean Carroll’s rape accusation because he dismissed her claims in his official capacity at the White House.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/521785-doj-says-trump-cant-be-sued-for-den...

Es zeichnet sich ein interessantes Phänomen ab: Befragte tendieren zu der Vorstellung, die GOP sollte für ihr Treiben tatsächlich gerade stehen. Ein schwarzer Dem in SC, was als nächstes? Eine behinderte Lesbe in Alaska, die 2A abschaffen will?

<i>@MorningConsult

In the South Carolina Senate race, Republican incumbent
@LindseyGrahamSC
trails Democratic challenger
@harrisonjaime
by 2 points.

- Jaime Harrison, 47%
- Lindsey Graham, 45%

#SCSen</i>

Boothby, Freitag, 23. Oktober 2020, 15:48 (vor 7 Tagen) @ NN

Der Lawyer hingegen bringt es mit "einvernehmlich" ins Kino. Harter Stoff, U18 entfernt sich bitte von der Tastatur.

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1319486885677453312

Serious Black, Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2020, 09:44 (vor 10 Tagen) @ Boothby

Donnie zahlt seine Steuern lieber in China als in den Staaten:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/21/donald-trump-china-bank-account-nearly-20...

KdG, Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2020, 11:01 (vor 10 Tagen) @ Serious Black

Donnie zahlt seine Steuern lieber in China als in den Staaten:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/21/donald-trump-china-bank-account-nearly-20...

Ob China Trump noch für unzuverlässige Erzählen zur unzuverlässigen Person erklären wird?

Boothby, Sonntag, 25. Oktober 2020, 17:18 (vor 5 Tagen) @ Serious Black

Interessante News vom Mossad:

<@LahavHarkov

Mossad chief told sources: "If US President Donald Trump wins reelection, there could be an almost immediate announcement" of Saudi ties w Israel, if Biden wins, Saudi would still be interested in ties w Israel, but would wait. @jeremybob1 reports

https://twitter.com/LahavHarkov/status/1320250825168637957

Weshalb würde SA bei Biden länger warten?

KdG, Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2020, 10:49 (vor 10 Tagen) @ Boothby

Ist den Mods doch noch aufgefallen, dass der Laublog noch aktiv genutzt wurde. :-D

Serious Black, Dienstag, 27. Oktober 2020, 08:39 (vor 4 Tagen) @ Boothby

NN, Dienstag, 27. Oktober 2020, 23:49 (vor 3 Tagen) @ Serious Black

Türkei, ab 21:22 ------------------->

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1320892037080715264

NN, Mittwoch, 28. Oktober 2020, 00:16 (vor 3 Tagen) @ NN

NN, Mittwoch, 28. Oktober 2020, 20:33 (vor 2 Tagen) @ NN

Türkei:

Sen. Marsha Blackburn today asked if a Google engineer who has criticized her still has a job.

“He has had very unkind things to say about me and I was just wondering if you all had still kept him working there,"

https://twitter.com/amandacarpenter/status/1321524446780366848

NN, Mittwoch, 28. Oktober 2020, 20:40 (vor 2 Tagen) @ NN

Türkei, echt:

"Ron Johnson is my neighbor and strangled our dog Buttons right in front of my 4-year-old son" -- here's Ron Johnson reading an obviously satirical tweet about him strangling a dog as an example of misinformation that Twitter should remove

------------------>

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1321530025292652544

NN, Mittwoch, 28. Oktober 2020, 20:47 (vor 2 Tagen) @ NN

Es geht weiter, keine Satire:

In new petition, GOP candidates and state Rep. Toth ask Texas Supreme Court to REJECT Harris County votes cast in drive-thru lanes (100,000+ so far), calling it illegal curbside voting reserved for sick/disabled.
A new argument after earlier bid to end drive-thru voting failed.

Hotze is a GOP activist in Houston
Champion is a GOP candidate for Congress.
Hemphill is a GOP candidate for District Court.
Toth is GOP member of Texas House from The Woodlands.

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1321517036309270533

Trump: "Hopefully the few states remaining that want to take a lot of time after November 3rd to count ballots, that won't be allowed by the various courts."

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1321520329680932867

NN, Mittwoch, 28. Oktober 2020, 21:01 (vor 2 Tagen) @ NN

Workers tell Erdoğan about their severe economic problems in the midst of a years-long crisis. “We can’t bring bread home.”

His response: “You’re exaggerating...Drink some tea,” throwing a sac of tea at them.

----------------->

https://twitter.com/Nick_Ashdown/status/1320474561448693764

CNN's @AlisynCamerota: "Hospitals in WI are near capacity. Does that give you any pause about going there and holding a big rally?"

Trump 2020 Press Sec. Hogan Gidley: “No, it doesn’t … the VP has the best doctors in the world around him."

----------------->
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1321435418987024384

Boothby, Freitag, 30. Oktober 2020, 20:11 (vor 3 Stunden, 42 Minuten) @ NN

Türkei, ab 21:22 ------------------->

Buchstäblich:

The top federal prosecutor in Manhattan, Mr. Berman had traveled to Washington in June 2019 to discuss a particularly delicate case with Attorney General William P. Barr and some of his top aides: a criminal investigation into Halkbank, a state-owned Turkish bank suspected of violating U.S. sanctions law by funneling billions of dollars of gold and cash to Iran.

For months, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey had been pressing President Trump to quash the investigation, which threatened not only the bank but potentially members of Mr. Erdogan’s family and political party. When Mr. Berman sat down with Mr. Barr, he was stunned to be presented with a settlement proposal that would give Mr. Erdogan a key concession.

Mr. Barr pressed Mr. Berman to allow the bank to avoid an indictment by paying a fine and acknowledging some wrongdoing. In addition, the Justice Department would agree to end investigations and criminal cases involving Turkish and bank officials who were allied with Mr. Erdogan and suspected of participating in the sanctions-busting scheme.

Mr. Berman didn’t buy it.

The bank had the right to try to negotiate a settlement. But his prosecutors were still investigating key individuals, including some with ties to Mr. Erdogan, and believed the scheme had helped finance Iran’s nuclear weapons program.

“This is completely wrong,” Mr. Berman later told lawyers in the Justice Department, according to people who were briefed on the proposal and his response. “You don’t grant immunity to individuals unless you are getting something from them — and we wouldn’t be here.”

It was not the first time Mr. Berman, the United States attorney for the Southern District of New York, had fended off attempts by top Justice Department political appointees to disrupt the Halkbank investigation.

Six months earlier, Matthew G. Whitaker, the acting attorney general who ran the department from November 2018 until Mr. Barr arrived in February 2019, rejected a request from Mr. Berman for permission to file criminal charges against the bank, two lawyers involved in the investigation said. Mr. Whitaker blocked the move shortly after Mr. Erdogan repeatedly pressed Mr. Trump in a series of conversations in November and December 2018 to resolve the Halkbank matter.

The president’s apparent eagerness to please Mr. Erdogan has drawn scrutiny for years. So has the scale and intensity of the lobbying effort by Turkey on issues like its demand for the extradition of one of Mr. Erdogan’s political rivals, a Turkish religious leader living in self-imposed exile in the United States. Mr. Erdogan had a big political stake in the outcome, because the case had become a major embarrassment for him in Turkey.

At the White House, Mr. Trump’s handling of the matter became troubling even to some senior officials at the time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/29/us/politics/trump-erdogan-halkbank.html

Serious Black, Mittwoch, 28. Oktober 2020, 07:08 (vor 3 Tagen) @ Boothby

Serious Black, Freitag, 30. Oktober 2020, 15:10 (vor 8 Stunden, 43 Minuten) @ Boothby

It took only three and a half years for Donald Trump to solidify and formalize the United States’ comprehensive international isolation. In August, the Trump administration demanded the extension of restrictions against Iran for breaking the terms of a nuclear deal that Trump himself had withdrawn from. All but one of the other members of the United Nations Security Council voted against the move or abstained—including every other permanent member of the body. “America First” had, effectively, become America alone. [/]

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/10/donald-trump-foreign-policy-a...

Boothby, Freitag, 30. Oktober 2020, 15:36 (vor 8 Stunden, 17 Minuten) @ Serious Black

Charlie Cook möchte uns ecucated Mut zusprechen für einen Biden landslide:

A big Biden win would bring in Arizona, Florida, and North Carolina, and might also include one or two states from the next tier, mostly likely Georgia or Iowa, although don’t count out Ohio or Texas. Generally speaking, Trump is underperforming his 2016 pace by 3 to 8 points, depending upon the state or district.

The RealClearPolitics average of national polls pegs Biden’s lead at 7.4 points, 51.1 to 43.7 percent. But that’s a less discriminating measure, including as it does some mediocre surveys, some that seemed congenitally slanted toward one side or the other, and some that would be better utilized lining hamster cages. The FiveThirtyEight modeled average of national polls, which is more selective than the RCP average but still includes some surveys that I consider rather sketchy, puts the Biden lead at 8.8 points, 52 to 43.2 percent.

I believe his actual lead is more like 9 or 10 points, based on the higher-quality, live-telephone-interview national polls conducted since the first debate, as well as the gold standard of online polling, the Pew Research Center’s mammoth poll of 11,929 voters released two weeks ago.

Any way you slice it, these are pretty good leads, considerably higher than the 3.2-point national margin that Hillary Clinton had over Trump in the RCP average on Oct. 29, 2016. When all the votes were counted, the margin ended up being 2.1 percent. [...]

The House looks likely to see Republicans lose a few more seats on top of the 40 they dropped in 2018. If the over/under is 10 seats, I tend to come down on the higher side.

The Senate is increasingly less a case of whether Democrats will take a majority, but how large will it be. The chances of the GOP keeping its losses down to a seat or two are dropping; I am thinking that a five- or six-seat gain is becoming highly possible. The three most likely GOP incumbents to lose are Martha McSally in Arizona, Cory Gardner in Colorado, and Thom Tillis in North Carolina. Right on the bubble are Joni Ernst in Iowa, Susan Collins in Maine, and both Georgia seats. A touch back from that are Steve Daines in Montana and Lindsey Graham in South Carolina, as well as the open seat in Kansas. All three states are likely to be won by Trump, so look for a possible repeat of 2016, when every Senate race went to the same party that won the presidential race there—the first time that had happened since the start of direct Senate elections in 1914.

What I am wondering is if this will be one or the rarest species of national elections—a wave election in a presidential year ending in a zero, meaning it will reverberate for a decade thanks to the coming redistricting. There are not a dozen Republican Senate seats that could fall, as Democrats suffered in 1980, but Joe Biden may well replicate Ronald Reagan’s 10-point victory over President Carter. The odds are it will be a bit less, perhaps in the 53 to 44 percent range, with 3 percent going to independents and write-ins, half of the number from four years ago.

We’ll soon know. It won’t be long now.

https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/711037?unlock=SRT6SBVCJHPBFJTS

Serious Black, Freitag, 30. Oktober 2020, 15:36 (vor 8 Stunden, 17 Minuten) @ Boothby

In 2016, Turkish strongman Recep Tayyip Erdogan asked then-Vice-President Joe Biden to lean on federal prosecutors who were investigating a Turkish bank for financial crimes and to hand over a dissident cleric living in the United States. The requests seemed to be on Biden’s mind when he publicly addressed reporters and piously explained that, in the United States, the justice system doesn’t work like that. “I suspect it’s hard for people to understand that as powerful as my country is, as powerful as Barack Obama is as president, he has no authority under our Constitution to extradite anyone,” Biden explained to reporters. “Only a federal court can do that. Nobody else can do that. If the president were to take this into his own hands, what would happen would be he would be impeached for violating the separation of powers.”

Well, the justice system works like that now.

The New York Times has a comprehensive report on Erdogan’s successful efforts to recruit top Trump administration officials into his corrupt scheme.

Scandals tend to be complicated, especially scandals involving banks. But this one is extremely simple. The basic elements:

1) The Justice Department was prosecuting financial crimes by a Turkish bank.

2) Turkey’s president asked President Trump to quash the investigation.

3) Trump has personally received more than $1 million in payments from business in Turkey while serving as president.

4) Two attorneys general loyal to Trump, Matthew Whitaker and William Barr, both pressured federal prosecutors to go easy on the Turkish bank.

The Times adds plenty of new detail to the last point, which is yet another blow to anybody who hoped Barr might preserve some shred of respect for the rule of law. “In mid-June 2019, when [Geoffrey] Berman met with Mr. Barr in Washington, the attorney general pushed Mr. Berman to agree to allow the Justice Department to drop charges against the defendants and terminate investigations of other suspected conspirators,” the Times reports. When Barr subsequently fired Berman, who resisted his pressure, Justice Department officials cited his stubbornness on the Turkey case “as a key reason for his removal.”

Biden’s casual assumption in 2016 that granting Erdogan’s wish would automatically result in impeachment is a time-capsule record of the standards of good government that prevailed before Trump blew them to smithereens. In a pre-Trump world, the Turkish bank scandal would destroy a normal presidency.

The misconduct found by the Times is actually much worse than the hypothetical behavior Biden said would lead to impeachment for two reasons. First, it undermines Trump’s own foreign policy. The crimes for which the bank, Halkbank, was being investigated relate to violating American sanctions on Iran. After the Obama administration relaxed sanctions on Iran as part of a nuclear deal, the Trump administration ramped up those sanctions and used them as the lynchpin of its strategy in the region. (This helps explain why national security adviser John Bolton, an Iran Über-hawk, was motivated to blow the whistle on this corruption.)

Now, you don’t have to agree with the administration’s agenda of pressuring Iran. I certainly don’t. The point is that the fact that it undermined its own policy agenda highlights the extent of the corruption.

And second, Trump’s own financial interest is a factor Biden did not imagine in 2016. When Trump was asked about Turkey in 2015, he conceded that he had a conflict of interest. “I have a little conflict of interest because I have a major, major building in Istanbul,” Trump told Breitbart. “It’s called Trump Towers — two towers, instead of one. … And I’ve gotten to know Turkey very well. They’re amazing people. They’re incredible people. They have a strong leader.”

Yes, having a lucrative business deal in a foreign country, especially an oligarchy where leaders intermingle official favors with foreign policy, is a deep conflict of interest. It’s fundamentally disqualifying, in fact.

If Trump wins reelection, the House should launch impeachment hearings.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/10/trump-turkey-bank-scandal-corruption-erdogan-ha...

Serious Black, Freitag, 30. Oktober 2020, 15:43 (vor 8 Stunden, 10 Minuten) @ Boothby

NN, Freitag, 30. Oktober 2020, 18:24 (vor 5 Stunden, 29 Minuten) @ Serious Black

All love identity politics:

Just the Lieutenant Governor of Idaho, driving around with a gun and a Bible protesting #COVID19 restrictions

------------------>

https://twitter.com/PoliticsReid/status/1321820053424074752

NN, Freitag, 30. Oktober 2020, 18:54 (vor 4 Stunden, 59 Minuten) @ Serious Black

Serious Black, Freitag, 30. Oktober 2020, 19:55 (vor 3 Stunden, 58 Minuten) @ NN

Härtester takedown des Wahlkampfs:

Aaron Rupar kommentierte dies mit: Fatality!

NN, Freitag, 30. Oktober 2020, 22:06 (vor 1 Stunden, 47 Minuten) @ Serious Black

Republicans embraced this monster knowing exactly who he is. They should be held accountable for the rest of their lives. Shame them. Shun them. Blame them.

------------->

https://twitter.com/stuartpstevens/status/1322270252181454848

RSS-Feed dieser Diskussion